It's now December, three months since I returned from my trip, and about time that I share the experience with you. It was grand!
There is just something about the anticipation of a trip that gives you a thrill before you even step out the door. For me, that sensation coupled with procrastination and a bit of OCD left me restless and leaving for a trek across Europe with little more than two hours of sleep. And on my first flight, in my window seat, where I usually drift away without hesitation, I sat ready for the adventure to come. Carrying in my backpack a month's worth of attire to brave me through mid 50 to high 90-degree weather, a continent full of history, new friendships and adventure- I was hoping that my packing was smart!
Before telling you all about the trip, I want to let you know how I did it, with nothing more than this backpack and a purse.
My tips to packing
- Match everything as much as possible
- Bring simple pieces and add style with accessories
- Learn to wash, at least your undergarments, by hand
- Bring clothes that can be layered to work in different temperatures
- Think about where you plan to go, and where you don’t. Dress appropriately
- Don’t forget the stuff that matters: soap, toothbrush, passport, addresses, etc…
- You will need to refill 3 oz bottles of shampoo and conditioner during a month long trip- still worth it not to have to check your bag every flight
- They will enforce the little baggie rule at the airport- but it’s OK, you can buy more toothpaste
- Bring more than one pair of earrings- you will lose one or both
- If you don’t think you are going to meet young people and go party you are wrong- bring a sparkly shirt or something easy to dress up your look :)
Now that our bags are packed, it's time for the real adventure.
Coming soon- the UK!